Job Title: Human Trafficking Expert, Criminal Justice Specialist
Job Stage: Current
Applications: Will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About the position:
The Warnath Group, LLC is currently accepting applications from qualified candidates for the position of Human Trafficking Expert, Criminal Justice Specialist for several programs funded by the U.S. Department of State. The person in this position will provide training and technical assistance on the criminal justice response to human trafficking which includes identifying, investigating, and prosecuting cases. This full-time equivalent contract position is currently fully funded for up to three years. This is a hybrid position, with the flexibility to working from a central office in San Jose and work-from-home, in Costa Rica (San Jose, Guanacaste, or Puntarenas location preferred) with regular and significant, travel within Costa Rica required (mostly across San Jose/GAM, Puntarenas and Guanacaste).
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the criminal justice response to human trafficking, including involving children, providing expertise on identification, investigation, interviewing, and prosecution
- Collaborate with a team of short-term contract subject matter experts from our roster to create in-person and virtual interactive training materials and curriculum for a range of courses from introductory level to advanced specialized sessions
- Identify, assess and respond to technical assistance needs within projects
- Lead, alongside other experts, interactive training and technical assistance sessions for a variety of audiences, including criminal justice actors and other professionals, adjusting and adapting course materials as necessary to meet the needs of the participants
- Produce legal/policy analysis on issues addressed
- Conduct diagnostic assessments, as assigned, of a government or criminal justice agency’s response to human trafficking
- Liaise and coordinate with relevant government agencies and personnel
- Work collaboratively with the Warnath Group Team on all substantive matters
- Other duties and project support as assigned
- Experience presiding over / prosecuting and/or investigating human trafficking, exploitation, organized crime and/or cybercrime cases in Costa Rica
- Experience implementing a victim-centered and trauma-informed response
- Superior written and oral presentation skills in Spanish; equal or similar skills in both Spanish and English preferred
- Familiarity and knowledge of the criminal justice sector in Costa Rica, understanding of national and international legislation and fluent in its terminology and procedures.
- Knowledge of Costa Rica’s legal system
- Understanding of the application of child protection principles in the criminal justice context
- Exceptional legal research, interpretation, and analysis skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with others
- Detail-oriented, excellent organizational skills
- Highest standards of integrity and professionalism
- A positive attitude and ability to work well in collaborative situations
- Mastery of, or ability to quickly master, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Zoom, and other interactive remote communication software
- Current ability to legally work in Costa Rica
- Juris Doctor (or equivalent) or Master’s Degree in law, criminal justice, or relevant discipline or experience in a dedicated anti-trafficking law enforcement unit
- Presentation or teaching experience
- Curriculum development experience
- Expertise regarding analysis and application of international law on human trafficking, child protection and other relevant laws
- Previous work in an international context
- Previous work providing training sessions
Compensation for this position will be based on experience.
About the Organization:
The Warnath Group is a leading global provider of tailored skill-based professional training and technical assistance to address human trafficking. More information about the work of the Warnath Group providing professional skill development to anti-trafficking actors worldwide is available at www.warnathgroup.com and @WarnathGroup.
The Warnath Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity in cultures, perspectives, and experiences on our team.
The Warnath Group appreciates the interest of all applicants.
Please submit a cover letter and resume in English and Spanish, and writing samples in English and Spanish to email@example.com. (Writing samples may be formal or informal documents; short samples are acceptable.) Please indicate “Application – Human Trafficking Expert, Criminal Justice Specialist” in the subject line of your email.
We cannot respond to calls or emails about the position.
Only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.